Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Previously, at Hands on Stanzas...

Students in Ms. Ellis' room work on their haiku variations  
Here's a quick recap of my prior two residencies at Skinner West.

Two weeks ago, I brought in some of Robert Hass' selected haiku by Issa. However, instead of having students write traditional haiku in response, I created three spinoff forms from which they could choose: my-ku (about themselves), you-ku (about someone else), and psy-ku (crazy or nonsense haiku). You can read all about the results here.

Last week, classes fell on Valentine's Day. I knew there would be no avoiding the inevitable, so I had students read E. E. Cummings' "[love is more thicker than forget]," and write poems about people or things they love. The full story is here.

Approaching my fifth week, it's been a terrific time so far. These second graders are extremely bright and eager, and the teachers have been nothing short of amazing. More to come!




No comments:

Popular Posts

Throw the Lions to the Christians

Singles

The Fussbudgets: Hog Wash!

The Fussbudgets: The Naked and the Daft

The Fussbudgets: Fresh Brood

The Injured Parties: Fun with a Purpose

Malcontent: Embarrassment of Riches